In this tutorial we will learn how to measure the Sun UV Index using ML8511 ULTRAVIOLET Sensor.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- Arduino Uno or any other Arduino board
- UV sensor ML8511
- OLED Display
- Jumper wires
- Visuino software: Download here
Step 2: The Circuit
- Connect UV sensor pin GND to Arduino pin GND
- Connect UV sensor pin 3V3 to Arduino pin 3.3V
- Connect UV sensor pin EN to Arduino pin 3.3V
- Connect UV sensor analog pin OUT to Arduino analog pin 0
- Connect Arduino analog pin 1 to Arduino pin 3.3V
- Connect OLED Display pin VCC to Arduino pin 5V
- Connect OLED Display pin GND to Arduino pin GND
- Connect OLED Display pin SDA to Arduino pin SDA
- Connect OLED Display pin SCL to Arduino pin SCL
Step 3: Start Visuino, and Select the Arduino UNO Board Type
The Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu also needs to be installed. Download Free version or register for a Free Trial.
Start Visuino as shown in the first picture Click on the “Tools” button on the Arduino component (Picture 1) in Visuino When the dialog appears, select “Arduino UNO” as shown on Picture 2
Step 4: In Visuino Add,Set & Connect Components
- Add UV component “UV Light Sensor Lapis ML8511”
- Add OLED component “SSD1306/SH1106 OLED Display (I2C)”
- Now Double click on the “DisplayOLED1” component.
- In the elements window drag “Draw text” to the left side, and in the properties window set text to: UV Intensity mW/cm2
- In the elements window drag “Text field” to the left side, and in the properties window set size to 3 and Y to 30
- Close the Elements window
- Connect Arduino board Analog pin 0 to “UVLight1” pin sensor
- Connect Arduino board Analog pin 1 to “UVLight1” pin reference
- Connect UVLight1 pin Out to DisplayOLED1 > Text Field1 pin In
- Connect DisplayOLED1 I2C Out to Arduino board I2C In
Step 5: Generate, Compile, and Upload the Arduino Code
In Visuino, at the bottom click on the “Build” Tab, make sure the correct port is selected, then click on the “Compile/Build and Upload” button.
Step 6: Play
If you power the Arduino UNO module, the OLED Display will start to show the current UV index value.
Congratulations! You have completed your project with Visuino. Also attached is the Visuino project, that I created for this Instructable, you can download it and open it in Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu